Thursday, January 17, 2013

Weeknight Chef: Mama's Chicken Pot Pie


There's nothing quite like a hearty chicken pot pie on a cold, blustery night is there?
This one is so simple and so delicious that it makes for a perfect weeknight meal.

Two things I have continued to do since my sabbatical are:
1. Meal plan each week and
2. Clip coupons
I began to do both because, well let's face it, you don't spur of the moment eliminate 50% of your household income and not cut corners and save where possible, right?
The coupon clipping is a hit or miss thing. We don't eat tons of processed foods, we use a butcher for meats and a local farm stand for seasonal produce. At the end of the day, that means there are not a lot of coupons I am interested in.
However, to save money on shampoo, conditioner, cereals and snacks that I would be buying regardless is a definite win in my book.

The meal planning is necessary because we are on the Monday through Friday 9-5 grind with our jobs.
And we like to eat homecooked meals.
After a stinky commute home the last thing either of us wants to think about is "What's for dinner?"
If I have to decide last minute when already exhausted from a full day of work then it's take out for sure.

Over my sabbatical, I actually meal planned to reinvent leftovers into different meals. For instance, we enjoy having a whole roast chicken for dinner on a Sunday night. I make a full 5lb. bag of mashed potatoes to go along with it. Those leftover potatoes become the topping for a quick Shepherd's Pie later in the week and the leftover chicken goes into my Mama's Chicken Pot Pie.
I bet you can guess what we had for dinner this past Sunday night.....

Mama's Chicken Pot Pie

1 can of Campbell's Chicken Gravy
1 box of Pillsbury Pie Crusts
1 can of sliced white potatoes, drained - I use "no salt added"
1 small bag of frozen peas and carrots
Leftover roast chicken

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Place one pie crust in bottom of a deep dish pie plate
Combine gravy, potatoes, frozen veggies and chicken in a large bowl
Season with salt and pepper to taste
Pour into pie plate and cover with remaining pie crust
Bake in oven until top is golden brown
Remove from oven and let stand 5-10 minutes

See? Easy peasy!
Here is the non-negotiable:
You must use the Pillsbury Pie Crust
I don't care what kind of gravy you use, what kind of veggies you add, frozen, canned....you can add whatever your heart desires, but you MUST use the Pillsbury Pie Crust.
I've been making this for years. I've even made my own gravy for it, use fresh veggies when I have them, but I always use the Pillsbury Crust.
Trust me on this one.

Mom was a single, working mother of 4 and has been making this since for as long as I can remember. I have no idea where she found this recipe.
I'm just glad she did.













3 comments:

  1. wow! what a delicious recipe you've posted! I just cant control myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delishimo! I did not know you could buy potatoes in the can?

    ReplyDelete
  3. its looking delicious i"ll definitely try this recipe hopefully everyone will love it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.