Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Martha Stewart's Breakfast Cookies

In a recent issue of Martha Stewart Living, I found a recipe for Breakfast Cookies.
Leave it to Martha to find a semi-wholesome cookie!

Packed with some really wholesome ingredients, I decided to give them a whirl.

Breakfast Cookies:
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp of baking soda
1/2 tsp of coarse salt
4 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
3 cups packed dark brown sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp + 1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup raw almonds, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened dried coconut
1/2 cup raisins or currants
1/2 cup finely chopped dried mango
1/4 cup finely chopped dried papaya
1 cup banana chips

*I omitted the sunflower seeds (mine were not raw), the papaya (couldn't find at my grocer) and used craisins instead of raisins/currants - it's what I had on hand.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Whisk together flours and baking soda in a large bowl. Set aside.

Beat butter in a large bowl with with mixer until light and fluffy.
Add sugar and beat well.
Add eggs, 1 at a time beating well after each.
Add vanilla, beat until just combined.

Slowly add flour mixture and beat until well combined.
Add oats, almonds, seeds, coconut, craisins and mango and beat to combine.

Form dough into 8 large cookies or 16 small cookies and place on parchment lined baking sheets.
Top with banana chips and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm.

*this recipe made way MORE than 8 large and 16 small....I got at least 2 dozen GOOD sized cookies out of this batch!

My husband has proclaimed he is addicted to them.
I packed up a small bag of them as a hostess gift for our friends who had us for dinner Saturday night.
The husband proclaimed them, "Ridiculously delicious!"

Aside from an "on the go" breakfast meal, I think they are perfect for an after school snack as well.
Even Little Miss Picky Eater thought they were good!
(Even though she plucked out the Craisins!)

Try.these.cookies.
You will not be disappointed!


 

5 comments:

  1. These look lovely...I have some banana chips lurking in the cupboard that need to be used up:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to try this recipe and tweak it a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! I know what M & I will be baking today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely going to try these a little like you I will leaving some ingredients out and adding others

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome recipe! can't wait for this delicious food :) will definitely try.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.